A microscopic home.

this is a literary blog. i'm literate so i must have something to say. hopefully.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I am an atheist, however I was raised in the United church system. I went to the church just up the street and around the corner from me, Parker Street United. I actually did not mind it as a church and I never really felt pressured to have particular beliefs. I am very glad I grew up with this and I very much appreciate the chance to develop my own views.

I come to this topic because I found an old hymn book that I had stolen from the church (isn't that sort of ironic?) I wanted to use some lines from a particular hymn for a poem I was writing, but as I opened it up I saw what is titled "A New Creed" It is the creed of united churches everywhere as of 1968 and reapproved in 1980. This is what it says:

We are not alone, we live in God's world.

We believe in God:
who has created and is creating
who has come in Jesus, the Word
made flesh, to reconcile
and make new,
who works in us and others
by the spirit.

We are called to be the Churh:
to celebrate God's presence,
to love and serve others,
to seek justice and resist evil,
to prolaim Jesus, crucified and risen,
our judge and our hope.

In life, in death, in life beyond death,
God is with us

We are not alone.

Thanks be to God.


Now as far as religious creeds go, this one is very positive. It gives me a lot of respect for the United Church as they are really just saying that hey guys, god is cool with you and he's everywhere. I like the idea of that. It is much more accessible then other religions such as Catholicism and extreme Christianism or Mormonism. etc etc. Not to be judgemental, I mean, if you are one of the above mentioned religons and would like to have a discussion about religion with me and you feel you have something to teach me, go right ahead.

Religion has always fascinated me because I always view it as the greatest example of the human ego. People convince themselves that we as humans are more, simply because we cannot handle the reality of existence ending for us. We want something more. There are others reasons of course, why people would choose religion. Of course it provides a level of structure for a community, it can be a safe haven, a place for people to socialize and come together, and it provides certain individuals with a level of hope. However, one has to admit that religion has, on a universal basis, caused more complications and death then anything else. It's unfortunate really. I am considering reading the bible in March. I've already read it many times, but this time I am hoping to write some serious papers on my views. I'd like to see what I could do with that. Maybe write up some atheist pamplets. haha. That would go over well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

write a paper on mass hysteria. religion in my eyes has never done any justice to the enhancement of human spirituality. you know yourself, religion at best is a form of control. but i'll ask you this..do you believe in a Creator beyond all biological principles and if you do, does it make your life full?

3:06 p.m.  
Blogger ... crisp sycamore leaves. said...

I think a paper on the origination and divergence of religious beliefs would be an interesting topic. I've always thought of doing this, so maybe we could collaborate on a 'works'...haha. Anyway, that would be more of a historical elaboration/critique than an investigation of conviction and the subsequent effects.

I think the idea of mass hysteria would be an interesting concept; also, it's intriguing how people use religion as a mandate for violence, when most of the major religions advocate abstaining from intolerance and force.

Go read the Bible again, Mel. I dare ya...

12:57 p.m.  
Blogger The Sanity Inspector said...

We can keep from a child all knowledge of earlier myths, but
we cannot take from him the need for mythology.

--Carl Jung, 1912

7:05 p.m.  
Blogger The Sanity Inspector said...

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation.
-- Roger Scruton

7:06 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home